1.03.2011

Ink Drawing Techniques by Henry C. Pitz


Every so often I pull out my copy of Ink Drawing Techniques to look at the illustrations. This handbook of pen, brush and ink drawing methods has near 200 illustrations by great pen and ink artists. Written by Henry C. Pitz (1895-1976), it's as relevant today as when it was first written in 1957. Besides being an author and teacher, Pitz earned international recognition as an illustrator and painter. Henry Pitz illustrated over 160 books, was the author of seven books and wrote prolifically for magazines and newspapers.











Ink Drawing Techniques by Henry C. Pitz
Watson-Guptill Publications, 1957

When I was researching Henry Pitz I came across Todays Inspiration, a great blog by Leif Ping that features illustration from the 1940's and 1950's. Leif did two posts on Henry Pitz that you can check out here and here. To view Leif's Henry Pitz flickr set, click here

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Instructive books on inkwork are few and far between, and the best ones are going to be the older books. Thanks for sharing, I found this using Google's blog search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iris, it really is a great book. It has a goldmine of illustrations showing many different styles and approaches to pen and ink, which in itself is helpful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am doing an assessment for a University Paper at the moment on the book 'Bandoola' which features Pitz's illustrations. I was browsing the internet trying to find information about his technique and I stumbled across this blog. I can't seem to find access to any of his books - even through my University Database! I was wondering if you knew anything about what technique he uses? How his illustrations are printed or reproduced in books etc? I would be so grateful! Now, off to read the rest of your blog - I'm glad I stumbled upon it!

    ReplyDelete